Skip to main content

Over-the-Top Interviews vs. Smart Hiring

For years, I have wanted to write a guide for both job seekers and Interviewers. The reason is simple: I want to help people better understand what they are truly looking for-and more importantly, what they should be looking for.

Throughout this blog, I will share my observations, experiences, and lessons from being on both sides of the table. My goal is not to tell people what they want to hear, but rather what they need to hear. That means I will be honest, direct, and at times blunt. There will be no sugarcoating, no hidden agenda, and no pressure to please anyone because everything shared here comes from real-world experience, personal reflection, and a genuine desire to help both employers and job seekers make better decisions.

Whenever I tell people that I have worked across multiple industries, they are often surprised. My professional journey has taken me from realtor, sales consulting in home remodeling to program management, hospitality, food service, recruiting, and human resources. What many people don't realize is that I also worked in the recruiting and HR department of a well-known IT company, where we were responsible for hiring top talent ranging from project managers to cybersecurity professionals for major city contracts worth millions—and sometimes even billions—of dollars.

Because of these experiences, I have had the unique opportunity to sit on both sides of the interview table. I know what it feels like to be the candidate hoping to make a great impression, and I also know what goes through the minds of hiring managers and recruiters trying to find the right person.

This blog is a collection of lessons, observations, and insights gathered throughout my career. Along the way, I'll be dropping plenty of jewels and diamonds—most of them learned through real-life experience. Take what resonates with you and use it wisely.

Over the years, I have encountered several types of interviewers and hiring organizations. I like to categorize them into three memorable groups: The Carrot Danglers, The Runaway Brides, and The Sniffers. Then, of course, there is the category every company should aspire to be: Smart Hiring.

Let me explain.

The Carrot Danglers

Carrot Danglers are the employers who know how to create excitement but fail to follow through. They present an impressive show, offer glimpses of opportunity, and make candidates feel as though something great is just around the corner. But when it comes time to deliver, they disappear.

One interview experience immediately comes to mind.

Instead of conducting interviews at their office, the company rented out an entire resort-style venue. The event was heavily branded around women empowerment, a cause that is personally important to me and something I frequently write about. From the registration desk to the security checkpoints and throughout the venue, the entire experience was staffed almost exclusively by women. There were well over a hundred people involved, and at some point I stopped counting.

I genuinely appreciated the effort. The presentation was impressive. However, beneath all the grand staging, something important was missing.

The interviewer spent most of the conversation firing questions at me one after another. There was very little discussion about the company's culture, values, mission, or expectations. These are critical topics that every candidate deserves to understand. While many job seekers do their own research beforehand it is still important for employers to communicate who they are and what they stand for.

A job interview should be a two-way conversation. It should allow both sides to evaluate whether the relationship is a good fit.

This is why I call them Carrot Danglers. The samples look amazing, but when it is time for the actual meal, there is no substance behind the presentation.


The Runaway Brides

The next category is what I call the Runaway Brides.

Think about a bride or groom getting cold feet on their wedding day. The commitment suddenly feels overwhelming, doubts start racing through their mind, and before anyone knows it, they have vanished.

You go through the interview process, invest your time, prepare thoughtfully, answer every question, and leave feeling optimistic. Then... nothing.

No follow-up.

No rejection email.

No update.

Not even a simple message saying, "Thank you for your time, but we've decided to move forward with another candidate."

In many cases, these employers recognize that the candidate is qualified. The problem is not the applicant. Instead, the employer becomes paralyzed by too many options, internal uncertainty, or fear of making the wrong decision.

The result is silence.

And that silence leaves candidates wondering what happened. That's why I call them Runaway Brides—they seem interested until the moment commitment becomes necessary.

The Sniffers

The third category is perhaps the most fascinating: The Sniffers, also known as the Lurkers.

Imagine a high school student who has a crush on someone but never works up the courage to start a conversation. Instead, they admire from afar, constantly watching but never engaging.

They view your profile.

They visit your LinkedIn page.

They follow your activity.

They watch your content.

They may even monitor your professional growth for months. Yet they never actually reach out or make a decision. It's as if they are constantly gathering information while keeping candidates at arm's length.

The irony is that we live in an era where communication has never been easier. Technology has connected the world in ways previous generations could only imagine. Yet some people remain stuck in a passive observer mindset, endlessly analyzing without taking action.

They keep sniffing.

They keep lurking.

And they keep waiting for the "perfect" candidate who may not even exist. Meanwhile, talented people move on to employers who are willing to engage, communicate, and make decisions.

Sometimes the Best Opportunities Come from the Least Expected Places

Ironically, some of the quickest and most genuine job offers I've ever received came from the places where I wasn't even actively pursuing a position.

One of those opportunities came from the very venue where that over-the-top interview was held. While the company hosting the extravagant event never moved forward, the venue itself left a lasting impression on me.

Shortly after the event, I received a phone call from an assistant manager at the venue. The conversation was straightforward, professional, and refreshingly genuine. There were no endless rounds of interviews, no complicated hiring process, and no unnecessary theatrics. They saw something in me, made an offer, and within a week I was already working there.

A special shout-out to Russo's on the Bay.

What stood out wasn't the size of the venue or its reputation. It was the sincerity behind the hiring process. It was short, direct, and built on mutual trust. In fact, I accepted the offer without even asking about the salary first. That level of confidence is rare, but sometimes you can genuinely feel when people value who you are and what you bring to the table.

Another place where I've unexpectedly received job offers has been from my banks.

And when I say "unexpected," I don't mean it in a negative way. Quite the opposite. They simply weren't places where I ever imagined being recruited. Perhaps it's because bank employees interact with people every day and develop a strong sense of character. They see how customers conduct themselves, how they communicate, and how they treat others. More than once, I've been approached about potential opportunities.

My usual response is always the same:

"I don't have any experience working in banking."

And their response is often just as simple,  "We can train you." That has always stuck with me.

Many interviewers spend so much time searching for the perfect résumé that they overlook qualities that cannot be taught—integrity, professionalism, attitude, work ethic, and genuine people skills. The best hiring managers understand that technical skills can often be trained, but character is much harder to teach.

Sometimes smart hiring isn't about finding someone who has done the exact job before.Sometimes it's about recognizing potential and giving the right person an opportunity. One of the most important qualities interviewers should look for when hiring the right candidate is character. While experience and technical skills are important, qualities such as work ethic, emotional intelligence, integrity, loyalty, resilience, and consistency often determine long-term success.

Many skills can be taught and developed in the workplace. However, certain character traits are much harder to train because they are deeply rooted in a person's values and mindset.

Loyalty, for example, is an underrated quality. Employees who are proud to be associated with their company often go the extra mile to protect its reputation and contribute positively to its culture—even when things do not always go as planned. When trust exists, employers do not need to constantly monitor or micromanage their team members because they know they can be relied upon.

Emotional intelligence is equally valuable. People who can empathize with others tend to approach their work with genuine care rather than being motivated solely by a paycheck. In customer-facing roles, this can make a significant difference. Customers appreciate authentic interactions, and that positive experience often encourages them to return, especially in the service industry.

Another key trait is resilience. Candidates who possess determination and perseverance are more likely to overcome challenges, learn from mistakes, and continuously improve. Rather than giving up when faced with obstacles, they view setbacks as opportunities for growth—provided they are working in a healthy and supportive environment. 

One of the smartest hiring experiences I have personally witnessed was surprisingly simple. A hiring manager called me for a brief five-minute conversation and asked me to tell him about myself and my background. It felt genuine and natural. By the end of the call, he asked if I could come in on Sunday. I was excited because I knew I simply had to be myself and do what I loved most: working as a host.

I completed a two-day trial period and was hired within a week. Shoutout to Jazba for recognizing potential beyond a traditional interview process.

At the end of the day, or the truth of the matter is, it really comes down to whether you can perform on the floor. We can go through rounds of interviews, ask a million questions, and discuss every scenario—but if someone can’t actually do the work when it counts, what’s the point? That’s why we have things like written tests or driving tests: passing them is one thing, but if you don’t know how to drive, that’s the skill that truly matters.

These insights are not intended to favor either job seekers or interviewers. This blog remains neutral because I have had the opportunity to sit on both sides of the table. Through those experiences, I have learned that while skills may open doors, character is often what sustains success in the long run. Unfortunately, when decisions are driven by ego, insecurity, or personal bias rather than a genuine assessment of character and potential, great candidates and great opportunities can be overlooked. In many cases, people only recognize the value they passed on when it is too late, and by then, the opportunity to build something meaningful together has already been lost.

As for my next blog, we'll be shifting gears from careers and hiring to something just as important—relationships. Stay tuned for some juicy content :) real-life insights, and honest conversations about the dynamics that shape our personal connections. 

Until then see you in my next blog! Check out this link:

https://payhip.com/b/8nKNA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to fellow Writers, Bloggers, Journalist

  Dear Pen you may seem small- petite, delicate, almost fragile- yet somehow, you stand tall, almighty with dignity in the hands of those who dare to write. You carry no sword, yet you can move nations. You carry no crown, yet your words can command attention. You make no thunderous noise, yet your ink can echo across generations. There is a certain power in the way you move- a magnetism in every stroke, every sentence, every thought you bring to life. You capture the eyes of the mass media, the hearts of readers, the curiosity of strangers, and sometimes, with a single sentence, you make the unseen- seen. You give a voice to those who were silenced, to those who remained unheard, to those misunderstood and overlooked by the world. Through you, a forgotten story can travel across borders. A quiet truth can become a conversation. A hidden voice can become a movement. A single idea can go viral within a heartbeat. Oh, dear Pen, what freedom you give to every hand that holds you. You ...

30-Day Transformation Formula (Get your summer/beach body in 30 days!)

  Train the Mind Before You Train the Body Most people begin a fitness journey by focusing on workouts. Yet the strongest transformation starts with the mind. Before changing your body, ask yourself: Why do I want to become fit? What habits are preventing me from reaching my goals? Am I eating to nourish my body or to satisfy cravings? Do I wake up with energy or fatigue? What daily routines are helping or hurting my health? Your physical transformation begins with your daily decisions. The body follows where the mind leads. Start the Day With Intention Breakfast is often viewed as the first meal of the day, but it can also be viewed as the first opportunity to set your metabolic direction. Before eating, consider: Am I truly hungry? How did I sleep? How do I feel mentally and physically? What foods will support my goals today? Many successful fitness transformations come from becoming more aware of eating patterns rather than simply restricting calories...