Skip to main content

Happiness is the gap between expectations and reality

 When I first came across the statement, “Happiness is the gap between expectations and reality,” by Morgan Housel, it immediately caught my attention. At the time, I was searching for answers to a question that has fascinated people for generations: What truly makes us happy? Being naturally curious, I was drawn to learn more about his ideas, which eventually led me to reading his work.

My curiosity about human behavior had actually started earlier, when I began working as a realtor in the real estate industry. I often found myself wondering how my clients thought and felt. What made them happiest when they bought their first home? Was it the house itself, the sense of achievement, the security, or something deeper?

The more I explored these questions, the deeper I fell into what felt like a rewarding rabbit hole. Each answer seemed to lead to even more meaningful questions. I found myself reflecting not only on the motivations of others but also on my own life. Questions such as, “If nobody were watching, who would I truly want to be, and why?” began to surface. I started thinking more intentionally about the kind of career I wanted to pursue, the lifestyle I wanted to build, and what would genuinely bring me fulfillment.

One of the most important lessons I learned is that happiness means different things to different people-and none of those definitions are wrong. For some, happiness is building wealth and creating financial freedom. For others, it is having independence and the ability to choose how they spend their time. Some find happiness in getting married, raising children, and building a loving family. Others pursue adventure, creativity, purpose, or service. We all arrive at happiness through different paths because our values, experiences, and aspirations are unique.

As I continued exploring this topic, I realized that regardless of whether we are searching for success in our careers, fulfillment in our relationships, or something deeper and more meaningful, it often comes down to developing a few core skill sets. These skills have shaped how I navigate challenges, make decisions, and understand both myself and others.

More importantly, they have helped me overcome obstacles that once felt overwhelming. They have given me the confidence to face uncertainty, setbacks, and difficult situations with a level of resilience I did not have before. Today, I would not say I am immune to fear, but I have become far less intimidated by whatever life throws my way-even when it feels like I have been dragged into the darkest pit.

If you have read my previous blog, "Over-the-Top Interviews vs. Smart Hiring," you may recognize a connection. One reason people often feel comfortable around me or quickly form a sense of trust is not because I have all the answers. It is because I have spent years trying to understand what motivates people, what they value, what they fear, and what truly matters to them. In many ways, that journey began with a simple question about happiness and evolved into a deeper understanding of human behavior, relationships, and personal growth.

As my curiosity grew, I started attending networking events, business conferences, and entrepreneurial gatherings whenever I had the opportunity. Initially, my goal was simple: improve my social skills and become more confident in connecting with people from different backgrounds. What I didn't expect was how much I would learn by listening.

I had the chance to meet business owners, investors, executives, and entrepreneurs from all walks of life. Some had built multi-million-dollar companies. Others were just beginning their journey. Despite their different industries, personalities, and definitions of success, I noticed something interesting. The most successful people-the ones who consistently excelled in business, leadership, relationships, and personal growth-shared a common foundation.

After countless conversations, observations, books, and experiences, I realized that much of what separates high performers from everyone else boils down to three essential skill sets.

These aren't skills reserved for CEOs, entrepreneurs, or industry leaders. They are skills that can improve every area of life-your career, your relationships, your confidence, your decision-making, and even how you handle adversity. In fact, many of the obstacles I have overcome can be traced back to developing these very skills.

What's fascinating is that many powerful leaders, successful entrepreneurs, and top performers possess them, yet few openly talk about them. Whether intentionally or not, these lessons are often hidden behind years of experience, failure, and personal growth. Some people guard this knowledge closely, treating it as a competitive advantage.

I take a different view.

I believe knowledge becomes more powerful when it is shared. If something has helped me better understand people, navigate challenges, and build a more meaningful life, then I believe others should have access to it too.

So rather than gatekeeping these lessons, I want to share them with you.

 I'll break down the three skill sets that have had the greatest impact on my life-and why I believe they are the foundation for success, fulfillment, and resilience in an increasingly complex world. Check out the link down below:

https://payhip.com/b/8nKNA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-the-Top Interviews vs. Smart Hiring

For  years, I have wanted to write a guide for both job seekers and Interviewers. The reason is simple: I want to help people better understand what they are truly looking for-and more importantly, what they should be looking for. Throughout this blog, I will share my observations, experiences, and lessons from being on both sides of the table. My goal is not to tell people what they want to hear, but rather what they need to hear. That means I will be honest, direct, and at times blunt. There will be no sugarcoating, no hidden agenda, and no pressure to please anyone because everything shared here comes from real-world experience, personal reflection, and a genuine desire to help both employers and job seekers make better decisions. Whenever I tell people that I have worked across multiple industries, they are often surprised. My professional journey has taken me from realtor, sales consulting in home remodeling to program management, hospitality, food service, recruiting, and hum...

Tribute to fellow Writers, Bloggers, Journalist

  Dear Pen you may seem small- petite, delicate, almost fragile- yet somehow, you stand tall, almighty with dignity in the hands of those who dare to write. You carry no sword, yet you can move nations. You carry no crown, yet your words can command attention. You make no thunderous noise, yet your ink can echo across generations. There is a certain power in the way you move- a magnetism in every stroke, every sentence, every thought you bring to life. You capture the eyes of the mass media, the hearts of readers, the curiosity of strangers, and sometimes, with a single sentence, you make the unseen- seen. You give a voice to those who were silenced, to those who remained unheard, to those misunderstood and overlooked by the world. Through you, a forgotten story can travel across borders. A quiet truth can become a conversation. A hidden voice can become a movement. A single idea can go viral within a heartbeat. Oh, dear Pen, what freedom you give to every hand that holds you. You ...

30-Day Transformation Formula (Get your summer/beach body in 30 days!)

  Train the Mind Before You Train the Body Most people begin a fitness journey by focusing on workouts. Yet the strongest transformation starts with the mind. Before changing your body, ask yourself: Why do I want to become fit? What habits are preventing me from reaching my goals? Am I eating to nourish my body or to satisfy cravings? Do I wake up with energy or fatigue? What daily routines are helping or hurting my health? Your physical transformation begins with your daily decisions. The body follows where the mind leads. Start the Day With Intention Breakfast is often viewed as the first meal of the day, but it can also be viewed as the first opportunity to set your metabolic direction. Before eating, consider: Am I truly hungry? How did I sleep? How do I feel mentally and physically? What foods will support my goals today? Many successful fitness transformations come from becoming more aware of eating patterns rather than simply restricting calories...